Job Posting Title
PROJECT OFFICER – Hybrid Court for South Sudan
PROJECT OFFICER – Hybrid Court for South Sudan
The African Union (AU), established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) at its 547th Session met at the level of Heads of State and Government in New York on 26 September 2015 made a decision on the issues related to accountability regarding a grave violation of human rights and other grave abuses that have been committed in South Sudan internal conflict since 15 December 2013. The Council agreed to the establishment by the African Union Commission (AUC), of an independent hybrid court to be known as the Hybrid Court of South Sudan (HCSS) as an African owned and led court fully equipped to meet South Sudanese sense of justice and accountability against grave violation of Human rights and other grave abuses.
Overall, the Project will be coordinated by the Office of the Legal Counsel (OLC) as mandated by the Chairperson of AUC. Accordingly, OLC will be designated as the focal and coordination office for overall project implementation. The Project Officer will be located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at the AUC Headquarter with frequent travel missions to the fields.
Job Title: Grade: Supervisor:
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Number of Position: 1
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, Project Officer will undertake the administrative following tasks:
• Supports the organization, coordination and implementation of project activities.
• Monitors and reports on the implementation of projects through regular review, collects information and ensures the project implementation as per the Timeline;
• Prepares progress reports and manages project data;
• Contributes to the preparation of the Quarterly, Annual and final reports of the project.
• Facilitates meetings, attends meetings and take minutes.
• Works towards establishing excellent working relationships with all stakeholders, other AUC departments/Organs, UN agencies and funding partners.
• Identifies opportunities for cooperation and works in a collaborative manner with national and international partners.
• Participates in the preparation and facilitation of workshops/training activities organized by the Project and prepares reports on activities.
• Performs other related legal, administrative and project implementation responsibilities duties as assigned by Project Coordinator.
1. EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University Master Degree in International Law, International Criminal Justice, International Development or equivalent from a recognized Institution with 3-4 years of experience in an international context. Prior relevant experience on South Sudan conflict is highly preferred.
2. OTHER RELEVANT SKILLS:
• Strong competencies in the area of rule of law project design and management.
• In-depth knowledge of international criminal justice issues.
• Excellent project report writing skills and strong analytical skills combined with good judgment.
• Ability to lead formulation, oversight of implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the project.
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
• Demonstrates strong knowledge of current socio-political and cultural context of South Sudan.
3. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
Proficiency in English is required. Working knowledge of one of the other African Union languages (French, Arabic and Portuguese) will be an added advantage.
4. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
5. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is a fixed monthly lump sum of US$ 7,101.01 (P2 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 5,562.65 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff.
7. HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must reach the Commission not later than 17 APRIL 2018 through the AU Commission’s website http://www.aucareers.org
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)