Job Posting Title
LEGAL EXPERT – Hybrid Court for South Sudan
LEGAL EXPERT – Hybrid Court for South Sudan
The African Union (AU), established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The AU Peace and Security Council (PSC) at its 547th Session met at the level of Heads of State and Government in New York on 26 September 2015 made a decision on the issues related to accountability regarding a grave violation of human rights and other grave abuses that have been committed in South Sudan internal conflict since 15 December 2013. The Council agreed to the establishment by the African Union Commission (AUC), of an independent hybrid court to be known as the Hybrid Court of South Sudan (HCSS) as an African owned and led court fully equipped to meet South Sudanese sense of justice and accountability against grave violation of Human rights and other grave abuses.
Overall, the Project will be coordinated by the Office of the Legal Counsel (OLC) as mandated by the Chairperson of AUC. Accordingly, OLC will be designated as the focal and coordination office for overall project implementation. The Legal Expert will be located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at the AUC Headquarter with frequent travel missions to the fields.
Job Title: Grade: Supervisor:
Legal Expert, Hybrid Court of South Sudan
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia Number of Position: 1
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall supervision of the Project Coordinator, the Legal Expert will undertake the following tasks:
• Drafts legal texts of the Hybrid Court specifically its Statute; agreement with the government of South Sudan; Rules of Procedure and Evidence; Host Agreement; Codes of Professional Conduct; Policies in relation to Protection and Support of Victims; and other related legal and policy documents.
• Provides expert legal advice to the project on international criminal justice laws and principles;
• Undertakes research activities on South Sudan criminal justice system;
• Drafts a model criminal law and criminal procedure for South Sudan criminal justice system;
• Prepares legal opinions and background memoranda on range of international criminal justice issues and project administrative matters;
• Provides expert advice on overall establishment of Hybrid Court as African owned and led regional criminal justice mechanism; and
• Performs any other related duties, as required.
1. EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATION & WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
University Master Degree in International Law, International Criminal Law or related fields with 7 years of experience the area of internal criminal law and transitional justice at a specialist/expert level
University Bachelor Degree in International Law, International Criminal Law or related fields with 12 years of progressive relevant work experience in the area of international criminal law and transitional justice, out of which 7 (seven) years should be at a specialist/expert level
2. OTHER RELEVANT SKILLS:
• Proven ability to draft high quality legal texts and other documents of legal nature is mandatory.
• Strong skills in preparation of complex legal documents including confidential legal opinions, MOUs, leading the negotiation of complex projects and programs.
• Ability to work and deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications.
3. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT:
Proficiency in English is required. Working knowledge of one of the other African Union languages (French, Arabic and Portuguese) will be an added advantage.
4. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months
will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
5. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES:
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is a fixed monthly lump sum of US$ 9,245.96 (P4 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 7,739.00 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff.
7. HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must reach the Commission not later than 17th APRIL 2018 through the AU Commission’s website http://www.aucareers.org
Applications are pre-screened by the system according to the published requirements of the job opening on the basis of the information provided in the application. In relation to the requirements of the job opening, applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their qualifications, including their education, work experience, and language skills. Each applicant must bear in mind that submission of incomplete or inaccurate applications may render that applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening. Initial screening and evaluation of applications will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted. Applications cannot be amended following submission. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process to verify the information provided in the application.
Directorate of Administration and Human Resource Management African Union Commission
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)