South Sudan’s Ministry of Health reported 5 more coronavirus cases on Monday bringing the total number in the country to 2,098.
Dr Richard Laku, the COVID-19 Incident Manager, said in a statement in Juba that the new cases were confirmed positive by the public health laboratory in the last 24 hours.
The health official added that the cumulative number of coronavirus-related deaths in the country now stands at 40. Richard said 824 people have recovered so far and discharged from hospitals.
Laku said a total of 442 cases are still under follow-up while 838 contacts that were being traced have been reached.
According to Laku, 4,375 contacts have so far completed their mandatory 14-day follow-up.
South Sudan announced its first case of the new coronavirus on April 5.
In May, a WHO representative told Radio Tamazuj South Sudan’s health care system is poorly prepared for coronavirus.
“South Sudan’s health sector lacks medical personnel, modern healthcare equipment, and many citizens still find it difficult to access the existing health facilities in many parts of the country,” said Dr. Emmanuel Timothy, the head of the WHO in Upper Nile State.
Source: Radio Tamazuj