South Sudan’s military has announced the start of operations to collect firearms from the hands of civilians in all counties of Warrap State.
The army spokesperson Major General Lul Ruai Koang told Radio Tamazuj on Thursday Chief of Defense Forces, Gen. Johnson Juma witnessed the launch in Tonj South County on Wednesday.
He said the exercise aims at collecting weapons from the hands of civilians. The military official explained that the process of disarming civilians would cover all counties of Warrap and the neighbouring areas witnessing intercommunal conflicts and cattle raids.
Koang warned that the military would not rule out the use of force against anyone who violates the ongoing disarmament exercise.
Last month, the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said the scope and intensity of intercommunal violence in parts of South Sudan could threaten the peace agreement.
UNMISS said it recorded 415 violent incidents between communities between January and May this year, up from 129 during the same period in 2018.
Source: Radio Tamazuj